Tico Mail Works Ltd: Renewable Electricity Electric Car to Work Scheme
Business Name: Tico Mail Works Ltd
Location: Sandyford, Dublin
No. of Employees: 38
Does your company/organisation have a CSR Strategy?
CSR Initiative: Renewable Electricity Electric Car to Work Scheme
Tico Mail Works Renewable Electric Car to Work Scheme provides an enabling mechanism to all staff who wish to do so, to purchase an electric vehicle and use renewable energy to drive it.
This innovative initiative involves: The staff member identifying the car. Tico buys and owns the car. Tico charges the staff member for the costs associated with the car; insurance and road tax equal to a reduction of the staff member’s gross salary including USC and PRSI. Tico provides the electricity to charge the car at the Tico premises. This energy is annually certified by the energy regulator as being 100% renewable, which certification Tico receives each year from our electricity supplier. Should the staff member wish to purchase the car at any time they may do so at no profit to Tico.
The effects of the scheme are
- to reduce the carbon footprint of the company,
- help achieve the UN Sustainable Development Goals and
- reduce the cost of the electric car to the staff member.
The above effects can be explained in more detail as follows:
The annual carbon footprint of all 22 vehicles which belong to the company or used by staff to travel to and from work have been surveyed and the total annual carbon footprint for transport calculated using carbonfootprint.com as being 84.83 metric tons of CO2e per annum. To date (October 2021) 11 cars which used fossil fuels have been replaced by 11 electric vehicles under this Scheme. Therefore, this Scheme will result in reduction in the annual carbon footprint above of over 40 metric tons of CO2e per annum, or a reduction of over 50% in our carbon footprint for transport in a single year.
The business impact of the Scheme to the company is
- It has not cost the company financially
- It improves the loyalty of the staff involved
- It reduces the upward pressure on wage increases because the scheme is financially beneficial to the staff concerned.
- The project will complement further the CSR ethos of our organisation which can be seen in our Annual Sustainability Report which is available here on the home page of our website (https://www.ticomailworks.ie/pdf/TMW-Sustainability-Report2020_Online.pdf).
The scheme is run by the Finance Department in conjunction with HR. The staff member identifies and organises the purchase of the car and its maintenance.
How have you communicated this activity?
As the Scheme is internal most of the communication has been via internal emails and memos. However it is also included in our annual sustainability report which is available online. (https://www.ticomailworks.ie/pdf/TMW-Sustainability-Report2020_Online.pdf)
Which of the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) apply to your CSR activity?
The Electric Car to Work Scheme initiative relates and impacts to:
- SDG 7: Affordable Clean Energy
- SDG 9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- SDG 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities
- SDG 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
- SDG 13: Climate Action
In addition, as outlined in our Sustainability Report the other UN SDGs that apply to our CSR activity are:
- SDG 5 – Gender Equality
- SDG 10 – Reduced Inequalities
Do you report on CSR in your Annual Report?
Yes (see https://www.ticomailworks.ie/pdf/TMW-Sustainability-Report2020_Online.pdf). In our 2021 report we intend to report our total carbon footprint under the heads of Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions.
Describe the benefits from engaging in CSR
- Better internal staff relations, including job satisfaction
- Better external relations with customers, suppliers and the community
- Cost neutral
Describe the overall impact on your business?
- Better employee retention
- Better customer retention
- Better relationship with suppliers and community
Four dimensions of CSR – Environment, Community, Workplace and Marketplace.
As can be seen from our Sustainability Report our CSR activity applies to all four dimension of CSR, the workplace, our community, the environment and our customers and supplier.
With regards to this initiative, our Electric Car to Work Scheme (for which we won the Chambers Ireland Excellence in CSR by an SME in 2020) the activity relates to the Workplace and the Environment.
Tips/advice for other businesses.
Our Sustainability Report became very quickly a surprisingly good public relations document. Therefore, our number 1 tip is to write and publish an annual Sustainability Report for your business. (Back in 2014 for our first Sustainability Report, we enlisted the help of Business in the Community Ireland). This Sustainability Report document that you produce for your company can then also serve as your company brochure showing what you can do and how you can do it in a way that is acceptable to all stakeholder groups, i.e. staff, customers, suppliers, the environment and the community.
Case Study provided by:
Tico Mail Works Ltd